Monday, December 3, 2012

A Comment on Coloring

So while I've been going crazy with content writing and other things I took some time to research methods of coloring comics.  Obviously, this can be done by hand.  That is how most comics were created back in the day.  Penciling, inking, and coloring by hand is also the simplest way for amateur comic makers to get their project off the ground without having to pay for expensive comic making software.  However, I found this tutorial that shows how to ink and color a comic with Gimp paint.  Gimp is a program kind of like Photoshop but with less features.  You've probably heard of it.  While a Photoshop licence can cost six hundred dollars Gimp programs can be downloaded for free (also download the help guide).  

Finding this tutorial made me very happy.  I have been able to create comic pages which you all have seen and I have come a long way from where I was a few weeks ago, but I am always looking for ways to improve my art work for the sake of my graphic novel fans (when I get some that is).  What makes me so excited about this find is that now maybe I can have more control over coloring my comics.  One thing that really bugs me about the sample pages that I worked so hard on is the variability of the coloring.  I tried to get it the best that I could.  Now with this tutorial from David Revoy I can hopefully make my panels look so much better.  Yay!

If you are interested to learn how to color a comic with Gimp then please visit this page at David Revoy's website: http://www.davidrevoy.com/article32/comics-inking-and-coloring-with-gimp-painter
I hope that this tutorial will be helpful to all us.  Have a great day! =P

No comments:

Post a Comment